In Austin and the Central Texas area flash flooding is one of the most common natural disasters that significantly affect our lives. This is especially true for those who live in flood-prone areas. Flash flooding hazards can be local, affecting a small community or locality or very large affecting multiple counties. If you are living in a flood prone area or have been warned about heavy rain and impending flash floods, then you should prepare to evacuate as quickly as possible. In order to prevent water damage Austin from flooding, you should take the necessary steps before, during and after the flood.
The following are the safety measures to be taken before a flood to prevent flood damage:
- If you are living in a flood prone area, you should elevate and reinforce your home to protect yourself and your property from flood hazards.
- If your living area is susceptible to flooding, you should elevate electric panel, water heater, furnace etc.
- To prevent flood water from blocking the drains of your home, sewer taps should be installed with appropriate check valves.
- You should construct barriers like flood walls, beams etc to prevent flood water from entering into your building. This will help greatly to prevent flood damage.
- If you have been warned of an impending flood, you should watch television or public communication media to gather more information about the disaster to come.
- If you have been warned of a flash flooding, then you should not waste time waiting for instructions to evacuate but should move to a higher ground as quickly as possible.
- If you are preparing to evacuate, then you should secure your home. If you have the time, move the valuables and essentials to an elevated place or upper floor. You should also turn off all the utilities like power supply, water supply, gas supply etc at its main source. Also disconnect all electrical appliances, if possible. This will help to prevent flood damage to the maximum extent possible.
The following are the safety measures to be taken during a flood to prevent flood damage:
During a flood, if you have to move through water, always walk through standing water. Also check the firmness of the ground before you with a stick and only then, you move on. Never walk through moving water as it can make you fall.
It is very dangerous to drive in the floods, as the flood water can easily sweep you and your car.“TURN AROUND DON”T DROWN”
If you are in the car and if you see the flood water rising, then leave the car and move to a raised platform as quickly as possible.
The following are the safety measures to be taken after a flood to start flood damage restoration:
- Do not go back to your home as soon as the flood water recedes. You should go back to your home, only when it is declared safe to return to the flooded areas.
- Do not turn on or start using utilities like power supply, water supply, gas supply etc immediately after a flood. Start using them only after it is declared safe to use them or an electrician has checked them.
- Before starting to live in your home and using your personal and household properties, you should contact a water damage restoration, Austin TX firm to clean, disinfect and dry out them. This will also help to prevent flood damage to a great extent.
If you are living in a flood prone area, it is advisable to have flood insurance for your family and property. Remember flood damage is not covered by your homeowners insurance. This will help to reduce the cost of flood and water damage restoration Austin, TX.